Friday, May 7, 2010

The Blindside

Eat what you want. Please, let me encourage you to eat what you want. As I gaze throughout the restaurant or across the table, understand that what you consume has no effect on me. If you are eating a rack of ribs with corn on the cob...I will be happy with my salad. If you are enjoying a bowl of ice cream...I will enjoy my breath saver mint. I have will power that is strong as steel. A mind that can not be shattered. A body that screams, "Throw me your best food temptation...I will not be moved."

If only that were the truth. Here's the truth. You eat a hamburger...I eat two. You eat french fries...I eat french fries and tater-tots. You enjoy a soft drink...I drink several.

If you put ribs on your plate...I take the ribs off your plate

and consume them myself.

This isn't about social graces. This is war! This is the arena. The band is playing. I'm a professional eater. I'm the quarterback on the Superbowl team calling the plays. This isn't a game. This is the playing field where war is carried out. If only I was on the bench (many are). If only I could keep my eyes off the game. Like the junior high kid whose parents are forcing him to play a sport (so they can live out their own dreams)...let me sit on the bench. Why can't I have that attitude towards food? Why can't I turn away the cheeseburger that is dripping grease? It's not healthy. I know this. It's bad for my body...like a receiver catching the ball while suspended in the air...the collision is going to be painful...but he grabs the ball never letting go...he has to be blind to not see the painful impact approaching. I may try wearing a blindfold. What I don't see...I don't crave.

Separate a fat man from food and watch the explosions begin.

Some deal with food separation anxiety better than others. Some obese men and women will become mildly depressed. Others will have a rejuvenated sense of life. I become angry. Could it be that the lack of diet cokes would have this affect on me? Could it be the lack of sugar? At any rate...I'm agitated and mad most of the day. At what? Nothing in particular...just everything in general. My wife (God bless her for putting up with me...she has handled the diet much better) and I are participating in a calorie counting diet that has a very, very low calorie intake the first week.

We are on day four of this diet and while the results are impressive (14lbs. lost so far) it is taking all I have to stay committed to it.

Last night I splurged and had a chicken breast with pickles. Pickles are not on the diet as they contain sugars and other substances that are not allowed. Will I make it for the last three days? I don't know. I will say this...the pickles were incredible last night. I never knew pickles could taste so good!

Dill, Kosher, Kosher-Dill, Bread & Butter...it didn't matter...I consumed any and all...I felt like I was having a feast!

Monday will be our last day of VLCD - (very low calorie diet). I will be out of town this weekend so it is going to be very, very hard to stay on track. Here's what I'm planning on doing. Tuna & Fruit. That's it....just tuna and fruit. I would love to join the guys for a cheeseburger after hole nine...if only I could golf blindfolded (sometimes I play as though I do). Keep everything covered up! We'll chat Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment